Here is my healthy low carb chocolate recipe, it is far more nutritious and has very little sugar, when compared to store bought chocolate. Of course it is Primal and Paleo approved, as it contains no dairy products and is grain/gluten free.
- Pre-heat a pan on very low heat, the smaller the pan the easier it is to control and make. I usually use an eight inch frying pan.
- Melt equal amounts of coconut oil and cacao butter (do not boil, the slower the melting the better) in the pan. Cacao butter can be found in health food stores and is a yellowish solid looking fat. Cacao butter and powder is the less refined version of cocoa products.
- Once the above is completely melted turn off heat and mix in real cacao powder. Now it will take a couple of batches for you to get the right flavor you like, there is no magic formula, but it should look dark and somewhat creamy. (Special note: melted homemade real chocolate is runnier than store-bought chocolate.)
- (Optional) mix in some coconut milk or almond milk (3 to 4 tablespoons), this will give it more of a milk chocolate flavor.
- Mix in a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- (Optional) a teaspoon of cinnamon – I do recommend this as it gives it a little more sweetness.